Thursday, November 27, 2008

Not for the Squeamish !

Not a lot of puppy reporting today - they are all as fat as little piggies, everyone doing well...I think by Sunday everyone's eyes will be fully open, so the next update should have more puppy stuff to report...
And if you are squeamish, don't read any further and ESPECIALLY don't look at the pics :)

So today seemed like "dog food day" in that, this morning, my dog freezer (actually, my dog freezerS) were almost empty. I hate it when it gets to be slim pickin's...No veggies left, no heart, tongue, just some ground pork, a pork liver and a small beef heart. Ok so I DO have lots of RMBs, as I picked up 5 cases of duck necks and wings only 2 weeks ago...
So anyways, this morning I went to the big grocery stores to sweep pretty much everything off their "sell by yesterday" veggie rack into my cart. Strolling through the meat section, I discovered some "sell by today" whole chickens for 99 cents a lb. So bought lots of that...Then ion the fish section I found some whole mackerel - not on special but Oh so hard to find anymore! I cleaned them out. At home I processed my veggies and froze the tubs. Onto the next...

I called the abattoir (slaughter house/butcher) and Martin said that yes he had 100 lbs of ground beef and pork, yes to hearts and tongues, no to pig feet (great "toothbrushes" and tripe, but promised to call me when he next did cows so he could save all the tripe.
So my car loaded, I drove home, unloaded it stuffing the 150 lbs of meat into one of the freezers. Immediately after doing so, my raw feeding friend called to say he had another pail of deer guts for us to sort through - which we did and got lots of organs, offal and tripe. The best thing about this tripe was that the contents in the stomach looked exactly like the vegetable concoction I had made earlier...So we saved it! Tap tested it and gave her thumbs up (paws up).
Finally, in my PJs, ready to call it a night, the same friend called to say he had ANOTHER pail of deer offal (seems he knows ALL the local hunters!) ...So we finished processing all that and now I am overflowing - both freezers are stuffed to bursting.

A great feeling!

WARNING Graphic pics :)
The scene of a horrific crime, or makeshift butcher block in the barn?
This is lovely pre fermented veggies!

Notice my apron. A bit hypocritical I guess.
Yes, I am wearing a hat, or "toque" as they are known as here up in the north!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

YUM!

Lynne said...

Wow, you really do love your dogs! How often do you need to replenish your freezers?

bye, Lynne

PS - puppies are adorable!

Sarah Duke said...

Ha ha ha! The apron is perfect!