Sunday, March 30, 2008

Day 6 Daily Stats - A Comparison

Just for fun, I was comparing Pat's 2006 "Glen" litter with Tap's litter.

On day 6, Pat's 2006 litter:

Smallest pup: Creekside Fynn (Puppy #1) weighed in at 1 lb, 2 oz. (He weighed 8 oz. at birth)
Largest pup: Creekside's M.D. "Doc" (Puppy #5) weighed in at 1 lb, 14.5 oz. (He weighed 1 lb, 1 oz. at birth)

Today (Day 6), Tap's litter:
Smallest pup: #2 (female) weighed in at 1 lb. (She weighed 10 oz. at birth)
Largest pup: #3 (male) weighed in at 1 lb, 4 oz. (He weighed 12 oz. at birth)

And a photographic comparison of the 2 litters:


No wonder Pat had a harder time whelping her 2006 litter, and Tap had such an easy time! Pat gave birth to giants compared to Tap's litter!

Here are the rest of the weights today and "results" of the ENS from this morning (I skipped yesterday, as they had been handled a LOT already. Too MUCH neurological stimulation at this can also be detrimental.)

Puppy #1 (Female): Weight 1 lb. 3 ounces; ENS "scale": 1 (I think she was sleeping throughout)
Puppy #2 (Female): Weight 1 lb; ENS "scale": 2.5
Puppy #3 (Male): Weight 1 lb. 4 ounces; ENS "scale": 1.5
Puppy #4 (Male): Weight 1 lb. 2 ounces; ENS "scale": 2.5
Puppy #5 (Male): Weight 1 lb. 3 ounces; ENS "scale": 1.5

And now for the action packed video that will keep you riveted to the screen... (NOT!)


2 comments:

Tuckahoe Lamb and Cattle Co. said...

Wow! It looks like the puppies have calmed down a bit on the ENS scale. Maybe they're tired from all the wiggling they seem to do.

Creekside Border Collies said...

I have talked to many fellow raw feeders and they say their raw litters are born lean and active, where as their previous kibble fed litters were born big "bloated" and less active, and that raw fed mom's mostly have an easy time whelping their lean non grain bloated little puppies. Interesting! I can tell you I've never (that I can recall) had a 7 day old puppy stand up and take a few steps - eyes and ears still closed! (That's #5)