Thursday, May 1, 2008

The Boys Visit the Nursing Home

They were SOOOOOOO Good!
OK, so they were a tad whiny in the car (for the 5 minute drive). We first stopped in the resident tea room, where they were cuddled and held. These residents were fully cognitive. Then we gradually made our way through the more dependent resident areas, including the "infirmary", where most of the residents suffer from Dementia of some stage or another. The puppies met all kinds of people: a sweet lady shaky with Parkinson's who held a vibrating #3 on her lap, then apologized for giving him the hiccups; a scary loud, slightly combative gentleman; a lady strapped to a recliner whose arthritis had crippled her, who spoke earnestly to #4; and of course, all the staff members had a cuddle too. They had a ride in the elevator (Hank found that particularly scary) and we even put them on the floor to follow us down the hall for a bit (after they all had a pee on the safely tiled floor of the "salon" - I was armed with paper towel and Benefect spray!) and had fun dashing past the open doorways, much to the resident's delight.
A super experience for the boys...And they were so good, the girls are invited next week!

So, I promised you video and I lied..Sorry! But here are a few pics. I didn't take any in the Dementia Unit for fear of upsetting any residents.


#3 having a good cuddle.

Hank was a favorite :) I think it was the name!

#4 was SO relaxed, it was like he'd been doing this for years! These next 2 shots of of him.

They are so very tired tonight...Hank and #3 would not be awakened for ANYTHING! #4 made it to Pat's basket, but that's about it. Meanwhile, the girls were going bananas all over the place, having not been anywhere, they had tons of energy to burn off!

And then, just because it's May 1st, and we are all thinking daffodils and tulips, it does this:

Hail!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That first pic put a great big grin on my face- I know you've lamented your camera skills, but you sure capture some wonderful moments. :)

Creekside Cait said...

Couldn't agree more with dsm. Great pictures. You could tell how special it was for the folks at the nursing home. What a wonderful experience for the pups.

Candace said...

Aw....Sniff! The pictures were so sweet! That was so nice of you to take the puppies to a nursing home. It is impossible to hold a puppy and have a bad day.
I've had my puppy fix now I can go back to work!
Thank you very much for the wonderful photo's I thoroughly enjoyed them.
Candace

Tuckahoe Lamb and Cattle Co. said...

What a wonderful day for everyone! I'll bet the boys got as much out of the visit as the residents did.