Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Day 44

Today the pups spent a total of 4 hours in individual crates (in 2 hour increments). There was much yelling and swearing (mostly from #2, #4 and #3) but all settle pretty well now and go to sleep. There are no accidents and when I open the crate doors I rush them all outside where they are learning about potty training...I say learning, so do NOT expect 100% house trained puppies by 8 weeks :) It is too darn hard with 5!

I guess I need to start getting them used to collars too!

Today's videos:

This is so cute of Blaze and Hank...Blaze has decided that the puppies are real dogs and therefore suitable to engage in play.



And today all the puppies explored the creek - some quite by accident - #1 and #4 got pretty wet!



Final puppy assessment happening on Friday! You should all know who will be yours by Monday! I don't think there is a bad pick in this litter. And the way they are raised and trained will definitely shape the way they will grow and behave as adults, so at 8 weeks, the ball is in your court, and you get to begin with a "Fear Imprint Period"!

The quiet one may turn into a couch eating maniac if not given enough to stimulate his body and mind, the puppy with great aptitude for work can be squelched by improper training, too much pressure too young etc. Every one of these pups will be on the analytical side ("thinking" dogs). None will be "peel off the ceiling", leap before you look idiots (not even our party girl, #2!). It is up to each of us who gets a puppy to ensure it is brought up and trained to the very best of our ability. I am ALWAYS available for support and can direct you to help in your area should you need it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great videos!!! Go #1 -check that out! Hank is so respectful -Blaze has some pretty interesting moves (the take down at the end!), but was so gentle...I love how all of the dogs are always swirling around you, it must be fun.

Anonymous said...

What a good boy Blaze is- definitely the fun uncle. And, brave pups at the creek. :)